Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A whole new blog!

I began my new blog, Popcorn and a Coke today, and joined the community of bloggers with some reservations. I am just not sure about how I feel about the whole thing. The above blog was conceived of as functioning in two ways for me: A place to hold and publish my thoughts on films as well as an experiment in and of itself on the blogging experience. Well, there is already discussion as to what my experience is and will be. Rather than make my movie blog into a blog about blogging, I decided to create a separate blog about blogging and here we are. So if you want to read my commentary on movies & society, etc. Read the other one. If you want to read about my experiences as a blogger, read this one.
Below is the original post from Popcorn and a Coke.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
I am not a member of your world, bloggers. I don't really get this whole thing. Blogging often serves a purpose. Some use it to report home while abroad instead of filling inboxes with travellogs as I did (sorry guys). Some use it to report new findings in their area of expertise to a world of blog readers (who are you by the way?) But many use it (from what I see) to enlighten the world with their nuggets of wisdom and wit. To me it seems narcissistic and self-indulgent to do this. As if publishing one's everyday thoughts online makes one's thoughts suddenly significant and profound rather than mundane. Worthy of readership by the mass of internet surfers and blog-readers out there (seriously, who are you???) Perhaps this is the next step of fighting off the anonymity or mundaneness of life. However, blogging doesn't seem to fend off anonymity to me. On the internet? Are you kidding me? How on earth do you stand out in an ocean of information when you are but a speck of plankton? (ooh that's deep). But I have discussed it with my computer-geek husband, and we think maybe I am missing something. So this blog, though mainly a place to jot my notes on the films I see, is my experiment with blogging. As I see it, one of three things will happen: I will decide that it still isn't for me, I will decide I have got it all wrong, or I will fall prey to the need to stroke my own ego and believe my everyday thoughts to be important, worthy of publishing and myself to be more than a speck of plankton. (And in the case of the latter, I will undoubtably insist it is because I had it all wrong about blogs.)

Oh and if you are wondering about the title of my blog. And I know you are! It's what many order at the concession stand when we see a film. Not great, but "reel comments," "filmology," and "cinefile" were already taken and I really didn't want to waste anymore time on a name. It's also a commentary on our society and our love of all things synthetic. Fatten us up and titalate our simple taste buds, but don't worry about nutritional content or resulting harm to us! You see, with this title I can not only discuss film, but also offer my deep, intellectual insights on pop-culture, society, etc.. (UGH I am already going over to the blog side of the force aren't I?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home